Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Smoking, Tattoos and Hypocrisy

Okay, a lot of things have been bugging me, and that's not exactly abnormal for my mind set. I struggle with the religious community in Jerusalem, in many different ways. Probably the biggest and most vague thing of annoyance is how they preach the 613 commandments, how they expect everyone else to cater to them around that, yet they don't always live them, they are sometimes hypocrites. Yes, I know we all are at times. But there is one particular thing that has been catching my attention since arriving in Israel: I see men, and sometimes women, with their whole black hat, peyes, tzit tzit, etc. getup on, smoking a damn cigarette. I have received disapproving looks from the religious because of my rather large foot and ankle tattoo. They believe I have defiled my body. Maybe that's true, but I love my tattoo and apologize to no one for having it. "You know you won't be able to be buried in a Jewish cemetery don't you?" Well, actually, I'm interested in eco-burial where I will be thrown in a hole out in the woods and covered with dirt, and it seems fitting that I would do so with body decoration. Or, well, I happen to think it is so sad that throughout time all over the world there have been people too poor, or people who have been abandoned because of disability or physical and mental illness who get thrown in large mass graves -- no one deserves that, not even people with tattoos; everyone deserves burial with dignity. So back to defilement. I don't see how inhaling tar and carcinogens, and oh, I don't know, the other 597 additives in a single cigarette, is not defiling the body. I have a beautiful, and yes permanent, piece of art work on my body. I really feel like I am honoring G-d's gift to me, my body, by decorating it in such a way where I feel more beautiful and where I feel I have enhanced something natural. But this tattoo will not kill me. This tattoo does not harm my family with second hand illnesses. It does not poison my body and induce cancer. While it did necessitate a one time expense, it does not cut into my family's budget every week or month. I did not act out of selfishness when I got this tattoo, but the religious man who smokes is thinking of himself, his needs, his cravings and addictions, before his children who are at risk of losing a parent prematurely. I know, I know, this all sounds extreme. I'm just trying to make a point. I feel like people have what is worthy of judgment and what is not a little mixed up. You bug me because your smoking habit affects countless people -- my tattoo does nothing to them. And neither does my kippah. Phooey on you.

No comments: