Monday, August 20, 2007

My First Israeli Haircut

So my hair has been bugging me for a while now. I've been regretting not getting it cut shorter before I left the States, and it has grown so much since I've been here (apparently your hair grows a lot faster when it is sunny and hot). The problem has been where can I go where someone speaks good English and also charges reasonable fees. The only recommendations I've received have come from men who go to barbers, and pretty much all the men have gotten their hair cut by Yacov and, well, they all kind of look alike now. So a few of the New Yorkers among us sent me to a small shop down Azza. An HUC student was there waiting to get a cut with the man who speaks good English, and although the prices weren't really what I was looking for, I decided to go for the English speaker over somewhat trivial costs, knowing that I was only going to get the barbershop cut for the barbershop price. I love the men who are students at HUC, but I'll pass on looking like them. So I got to watch the student/friend get her haircut and felt very confident that I would receive the same care and attention. It felt very Eurochic, with metrosexual men and everything. It was Jerusalem trying hard to be Tel Aviv but not quite making the cut. I got what I wanted, plus some I think -- the right length and the right layers, although he made these weird random long pieces -- too Eurochic for me -- and so he cut them off at the end and I was on my way. The experience was very big city American as I lost count of how many times I turned down money making offers from the metrosexuals. Yes, my hair has become more brittle since being here (apparently sandstone is in the water which causes damage), but I will continue using my Pantene 2 in 1 and some spray on conditioner until I get back Stateside and get fed some more of the same bullshit by the stylists in Los Angeles. Some things never change and truly are universal.

No comments: