Sunday, July 29, 2007

So What Exactly Breaks A Heat Wave In Jerusalem?

So it has been extremely hot for the past week or so. 100 degree days, 80 degree nights, barely a hot breeze if any breeze at all, actual humidity, blistering sun and sweating so much that I think I'm kind of dehydrated. At Shabbat dinner a few of us were talking about what actually breaks a heat wave in Israel. In the States, where it is humid in probably 80% of the country all summer, those dreaded yet wonderful evening thunderstorms are what usually breaks all of those heat waves, at least for a little bit if not for a few days. We all dread the chance that we will lose power, airports become chaotic with canceled flights and disgruntled passengers and we often get drenched as we are caught out in the sudden downpour. But the beauty of it is that once the storms move out of the area it can often be quite cool and a little breezy. We are all used to this as we spend year after year in certain parts of the States. It is pretty much all I've known since the same thing happens in Barboursville, Athens and WDC. So as we all talked on Friday night we none knew what breaks a heat wave here. I was joking that when I had checked the long range forecast for Jerusalem, which covered 5 days, the first 4 days had a great big sun on it and really hot temperatures, while the 5th day had a great big sun on it and a few little clouds. Maybe that's the breaker here in Israel. It is almost always clear, blue skies here all summer, so seeing a few clouds on the extended forecast was interesting to me. I went out today, mid afternoon, to meet Rachel so we could run some errands. We noticed as we were out that the sky was becoming a bit overcast with some passing clouds. The wind had picked up some and I said to Rachel that it really feels like it is going to rain. We live in a land of miracles, so to speak, and there's a better chance that some would repeat themselves before we would get a random storm in the middle of summer here in Jerusalem. I am curious enough now about how a heat wave in Jerusalem breaks, so if I find anything interesting out I'll let y'all know. All I really care about right now is the temperature here returning to the mid 80s during the day and the wonderful, cool and breezy mid 60s at night.

No comments: