Monday, July 30, 2007

So It's Not An Act of G_D....

I went for my first appointment with my new acupuncturist this morning. It was about a 40 minute walk and hadn't gotten too hot yet. I didn't get lost although found it difficult to enter the building from the correct place. She was great, the appointment, treatment and location were great, it felt very familiar with my practitioner and treatments back in Silver Spring. I have not had a treatment for about 2 months and I have been able to tell for a while now. Knowing that she can help me this next year and feeling like I am being taken care of is a wonderful feeling. Anyway, about that act of G_d. Yesterday I posted about the weather and how heat waves can be broken without rain. My acupuncturist has been living in Jerusalem since 1983 so she knows the seasons and patterns quite well. She explained to me that strong increases in wind is what breaks heat waves here. She pointed out that it was a bit windy Saturday evening and as a result was a few degrees cooler yesterday than Saturday and that the same thing happened last night -- more wind and thus a few degrees cooler today than yesterday. I also asked her about the seasons, temperature and weather patterns in Jerusalem (it is important to note that she has seen global warming in action, namely seen by less and less annual rainfall). The summer/hot/dry months account for about half the year, approximately May-September. The first rain is often on Sukkot depending on how early or late it is and seems to be Washington, DC style -- rainy and cool or sunny and hot. Either the sukkah gets blown apart at some point or you sit it in sweating and miserable. October and November are moderate to cool temperature wise (upper 50s-lower 70s) and have sporadic rain, with the rain increasing the closer it gets to December. Rain increases and temperatures drop in December, and January and February are the coldest, wettest and most miserable months. March and April are somewhat similar to October and November -- mostly moderate temperatures and slowly decreasing amounts of rain. Come Passover, like Sukkot, the weather quickly changes and it is suddenly becomes hot, dry and sunny summertime. I'm just relieved that I will be able to wear all of the long sleeve shirts and pants I brought. I guess I was in denial that summer lasts a good 5 months as I didn't bring as many summer clothing choices as I should have. I've only been here 6 weeks, and it already seems strange to me that in another few months I will have to actually pay attention to the forecast so I know if I need to wear my rain jacket or not. But for now, the wind is slowly doing it's thing, and hopefully by the end of the week I'll be able to wear long sleeve or a jacket in the evening, just like it's meant to be in Jerusalem.

No comments: