Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I Wonder Who Laura Bush's Decoy Is?

So, W has graced Jerusalem with his presence once again. It is mayhem. We unfortunately live less than a 5 minute walk from the King David Hotel where W and Laura are staying, and one block from the Inbal Hotel where a high security conference is being held. I haven't gone out today, yet, and have no idea what kind of problems I am going to have walking to city center where I work. There are barricades everywhere -- along with police, military police and military. The area is currently blocked off to civilian traffic. I was rudely awakened today to a police officer screaming something over and over into a megaphone. The only thing I understood was "Jabotinsky" which is the street we live on, so whatever it is he was saying, it affects us.

I just saw his motorcade go up Jabotinsky, having a nice view out our front windows. It was pretty standard fare for a motorcade with a few exceptions. There were 2 decoy limos, not just one as is typical in America, or at least in my experience in Washington, DC. And there were lots of men with lots of big guns. Lots. I was watching from the side of the street where I could see Laura in the limo. But which one was really Laura? All 3 limos had someone sitting in the same exact way with the exact same outfit on. And guess what Laura is wearing today? Something that looked to me like leopard print. I have to give kudos to Laura for her outfit choice today. If you've spent any time in Israel, you know that loud and gaudy clothes, such as leopard print, is quite popular among secular Israeli women (insert Russian joke). So at least the poor woman who has to be Laura's decoy felt right at home in today's outfit. I'm quite impressed with Laura's apparent cultural sensitivity.

Israeli security has apparently been practicing motorcades for a few days now. I took a video the night before last of one such motorcade. It didn't go so well. Traffic was jammed on both sides of Jabotinsky, and the vehicles in the motorcade were actually honking at other cars to let them by. How Israeli....

I'm hoping to get some photos later today and tomorrow. Maybe I can get a video of W's motorcade too. I feel quite indifferent about this whole thing. You might be asking -- okay, probably not, but I want to say it anyway, did Amy salute when W passed by? If you know me at all, you're asking yourself right now, just what "salute" would Amy have given.

No comments: