Tuesday, July 10, 2007

And She's Down For the Count

Rachel was stretching on the couch yesterday morning and "threw her back out" very badly. Her lower back in the middle and on the left side has been killing her ever since. Really bad timing since orientation officially started earlier this evening and she has two very long days ahead of her. Lucky for her I have had back problems since I was a teenager, so I have been able to take care of her as much as possible. She is really frustrated and annoyed that something that has never happened to her before as happened at the absolute, well, almost absolute, worst time. She has been out twice today to go to school. While we were at the college this evening I found a stool in one of the cantorial practice rooms for her to use the next two days so she only has to move a little bit to sit and stand rather than constantly pulling herself up out of a chair. The walk to and from school isn't too bad, and we have just been taking it slow. Hopefully she will begin to see a big difference in the next few days, and if not I will force the woman who avoids going to the doctor at all costs to go see someone and get some professional help. I feel for her as I know how absolutely terrible it is to have severe back pain, and as someone who has pulled my back out several times from putting on my pants, I understand that it is extra frustrating for something so small to cause so much pain. She will be okay and will get through the week. She sure has taken care of me on so many occasions, so it is my pleasure to take care of her. In sickness and in health -- right?! So the first night of orientation was fine. SOs (significant others -- what they call all family and spouses of students -- I hate it!) are encouraged to participate as much as possible in orientation, so that is what I will do. It was a lot of mixers and activities to help us all get to know each other better. It felt a little too much like camp or grade school or freshman year of college, but then again it is a school and it is a bunch of new students who will spend lots of time together this next year. And as it is in camp, grade school and freshman year of college, I liked most people okay, I really disliked a few people and I really liked a few people. This will all get turned upside down and inside out during the year, and people will be in all sorts of different categories. I'm keeping a good perspective as best I can and am trying to have low expectations. Hey, it worked for our apartment so why not for future friends. Actually, I was just in the bathroom taking a dose of Rescue Remedy and I said to Rachel that the bottle is still half full. Now how's that for a good perspective?!

1 comment:

Sara said...

I, too, had back problems in Israel (i think it has to do with the beds...). Just go to a pharmacy and ask for naproxin. Its like the US Alieve only stronger. Over the counter meds in Israel are stronger and for back problems I found that the naproxin really works. (oh, and, like in the rest of the world, drugs are super cheap). Feel better Rachel!